Office of Health Disparities Research

Addressing Health Disparities is Our Priority.

March 23rd, 2015

Removing a Cultural Barrier to Cure

By Sumedha Penheiter

Reducing liver disease in immigrant African communities

With funding from the Mayo Clinic Office of Health Disparities Research (OHDR), a team led by Lewis Roberts, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D., is working to help reduce high rates of liver disease in immigrant African communities.

“The diseases that we study — hepatitis and liver cancer — have a huge impact on communities, because they cause illness in individuals who are in the prime of their lives, in their most productive years,” says Dr. Roberts.

Watch Dr. Roberts describe his research in this video:

Many of Dr. Roberts’ Somali patients were coming to Mayo Clinic with hepatitis and hepatitis-induced liver cancer. A retrospective chart review of 3,000 patients found that Somalis were 10 times more likely to have hepatitis B virus (HBV) and three times more likely to have hepatitis C virus (HCV) than non-Somalis. HBV and HCV are major risk factors for liver cancer.

Somalis who test positive for HCV often do not seek treatment, even though an effective treatment is available. For example, for cultural reasons, they have tended to decline to have their liver biopsied, which is a standard of care. Mayo now offers noninvasive alternatives, including magnetic resonance elastography and Fibroscan, making it easier for patients to accept treatment and be cured of hepatitis.

Since 2010, Dr. Roberts and his team have been collaborating with the University of Minnesota and clinics in Minneapolis to promote hepatitis screening and vaccination in Somali communities.

Patients are offered free hepatitis screening, and Mayo employees help remove barriers such as transportation, language and education. Of 500 Somalis screened to date, about 15 percent have tested positive for HBV and 8 percent for HCV. The study team follows patients after testing and encourages them to seek either treatment or preventive vaccination.

Dr. Roberts is expanding his research through an OHDR Pilot Project to study hepatitis and hepatitis-induced liver cancer in immigrant populations from Ethiopia, Liberia and Kenya. This is one of several projects funded annually by the OHDR to promote research by Mayo Clinic investigators that aims to identify and eliminate health disparities.

“There’s a very strong focus on the patient, understanding the needs of the patient, understanding the cultural context the patient comes from, and focusing attention to developing health care systems that best help that patient and their community to have the best of health,” says Dr. Roberts.

— Kris Schanilec, Public Affairs

Tags: health disparities, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, immigrant African, Lewis R. Roberts M.B. Ch.B. Ph.D., liver cancer, liver disease, Mayo Clinic, Minnesota news, News, news, Somali

COMMENT

lylianstones333
@lylianstones333

Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 15, 2017
Posted by @lylianstones333, 17 hours ago

HERPES VIRUS (HPV)
HEPATITIS B.

Am Lylian Stones by name and I am here to share my testimony to the world on how doctor Idumebologab cured me from my HEPATITIS B DISEASE.

I became Hepatitis B in 2013. As once an Hepatitis B patient, I never believed that Hepatitis B could be cured by any herbal medication until I met with an African herbal doctor which happens to be Dr. Idumebologab who helped me get rid of this deadly disease and today I am living happily, strong and healthy with my family,,,….. Doctor Idumebologab made my life sweet for me once again despite all through the many years that I have been suffering from this Hepatitis B deadly disease. I have been going to several hospitals, Pharmacies and clinics and all were in vain but not until I came across a post online about someone testifying on how he was cured by Dr.Idumebologab from the same Hepatitis B and I quickly copied the doctor’s Email address and contact number and I decided to give it a try, later that day I contacted the herbal doctor and I told him everything that I have been going through for years and he told me not to be worried that he is going to prepare an herbal cure remedy for me, he asked for my details and permanent place of location which I quickly sent to him. Two days later I received the herbal drugs from the doctor through COURIER DELIVERY SERVICE COMPANY and the dosage and prescription on how I am going to take herbal drugs was indicated on the herbal drugs and he told me that after 7days of using the herbal drugs, I should go for a check up in the Hospital. I did exactly as he instructed me, behold! my test run in the hospital was that am cured from Hepatitis B and now today I am living my life happily and free from Hepatitis B disease and for this I owe him (Dr.Idumebologab) nothing but my life because he is a Kind and generous man sent to Earth to help individuals on their needs especially on this deadly disease. With the help of Dr. Idumebologab herbs you can get cured from HIV, Hepatitis B, Cancer, Herpes, Diabetes, Gonorrhea, Ebola, Ulcer, Lassa Fever, Fibroid, Tuberculosis, Vaginal Discharge, Pile, Skin Disease, Tooth Ache, Eyes Problem, Asthma, Kidney Disease, Lungs Disease, High Blood Pressure, Epilepsy, Staphylococcus,Lupus, Sore Throat, Cold Sore, Tinnitus, HSV 1,2 and 3, Genital Warts, STD, Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, Liveratos, Celiac, Gluten Allergy, Sickle Cell Anemia Disease, Stroke and many other other deadly diseases. You can
Reach Him with his Email:dr.idumebologabspiritualtemple@gmail.com or you can call him on:+2349067883725 and also add him up on WhatsApp with the same number:+2349067883725.

Please login or register to post a comment.
Contact Us · Privacy Policy